Monday, February 16, 2015

'too' in negative sentence

"Too" in negative sentences: How can I define it?


(Hello everyone,



I learned that "too" can be used by native speakers in negative sentences. I know that it's a non-standard use. My question is: how can I define "too" in this case?



a. Used in colloquial English
b. Used in colloquial English but not recommended
c. Even though it occurs in natural English, it is a bad use of "too" which nobody should copy.



Ex.: I don't want to stay here too.




I personally prefer letter (c). And you? What do you think?


Thank you in advance!)


  • I'd say I don't want to stay here either. I suppose on that criterion (c) is right.

  • "I don't want to stay here too" is unusual, but it is a valid sentence, a direct contradiction to "I (do) want to stay here too":

    We have stayed overnight at every town we have been to on this trip, and I don't want to stay here too.
    Jack and Jill both want to stay here. I don't want to stay here too, because there is not really room here for more than two people.

    But it is not a substitute for "I don't want to stay here either", which is used to add information to a negative:

    I didn't want to stay there, and I don't want to stay here either.
    He doesn't want to stay here, and I don't want to stay here either.

    This last idea may also be expressed using too, but it has to be outside the negative predicate:

    I too don't want to stay here.

(Can we use too in negative sentences.


John wasn't at home, and Tim wasn't too.


I though only "either" was used in negative sentences)

  • You're right, 'too' is not normally used here.

    In addition to 'either', you could say 'neither John nor Tom was at home'.

    Best wishes, Clive

No comments:

Post a Comment