Monday, February 16, 2015

difference between explain me and explain to me

Explain to me / explain me

(Hi all

I know the correct way is explain to me, however I don't know if there is any rule about this.

Can you please provide me more information about this kind of verbs? Or some verbs with which I have to do the same.

Thank you)

  • Talk (hablar) would be another. And "listen" (escuchar). You would say "talk to me", and "listen to me" (not "talk me" and "listen me"). I'm sorry I don't know the grammar rule. Other verbs don't need the word "to" before the indirect object. For example, the word, "tell". You can just say "tell me" - not "tell to me". Maybe someone knows the grammar rule. I think it just depends on the word.


  • It depends on the verb. 

    "Explain" requires "to" when used as intransitive. 

    "Explain the lesson to me"

    Explain - verb
    the lesson - direct objet
    to - preposition required
    me - indirect object.

  • It is intransitive in the example that Chava gave. Explain to me"me" is the indirect object.

  • Here is a partial list of verbs of communication:

    Requiring "to" (someone)---e.g. "She complained to her doctor about the long wait."
    Boast to
    Brag to 
    Complain to 
    Confess to
    Confide to
    Convey to 
    Declare to, 
    Explain to
    Listen to 
    Mention to
    Read to (sometimes used without “to”): Read me his list/ Read his list to me
    Reply to
    Relate to
    Remark to
    Repeat to
    Report to
    Reveal to
    Say to 
    State to 
    Suggest to
    Write to (sometimes used without “to”) Write her a short letter / Write a short letter to her


    Verb Used Without “to” before (someone) ----e.g. "He answered [ Ø ] his father without looking at him."
    Admonish
    Advise 
    Alert 
    Answer 
    Ask 
    Ask 
    Caution 
    Counsel 
    Fax
    Hear 
    Instruct
    Phone
    Tell
    Warn

  • Intransitive verbs don't have objects, direct or indirect; they have complements. The prepositional phrase to me (where "me" is the object of the preposition "to") is a complement that modifies (completes the meaning of) the intransitive verb explain. 

    Explain the lesson to me
    Traditional grammar says "the lesson" is the direct object of the transitive verb "explain" (explain what? Answer: "the lesson"), and "to me" the indirect object (explainto whom? Answer: "to me"). Linguists say that analysis makes semantically: The indirect object refers to someone indirectly affected by the action of the verb.Syntactically, however, there is no indirect object; the prepositional phrase "to me" functions as a complement to, and completes the meaning of, the direct object. Moreover, "to me" doesn't meet certain criteria necessary for an "object" (for example, an object follows immediately after the transitive verb); if it isn't an object, then it can't be an indirect object.

    Cheers

  • First, a semantic explanation:

    I don't think there is a rule that requires the use of "to" in "explain to me." "To" is a preposition that suggests direction, movement. In (a) explain to me, the direction/movement of the explanation is towards me (in my direction): Explain to me how Brazil could have lost to Holland means the same as Explain in my direction how Brazil could have lost to Holland. (Of course, you wouldn't say in my direction; that's just to illustrate the function of "to.") Explain to him how Brazil could have lost to Holland means the explanation should be in his direction.

    In (b) explain me, there is no preposition "to" indicating the direction of the explanation. Now, what we are saying is that "me" is the source of the explanation. This is a valid construction because if we can say " How will you explain him to your mother? then we can say how will you explain me to your mother? We are simply replacing one pronoun (him) for another (me).

    If what you mean to say is (a), meaning direction, then use "to:" explain to me. Othwerwise, you are saying (b): that "me" is what should be explained.

    Syntactically, many verbs take indirect objects (or complements, to make linguists happy) preceded by "to:" bring, give, send, tell, throw, read, toss, write, pass, pay, etc. (I can't think of more at the moment). Some of these are like explain in that their meaning changes with or without "to:"
    Write to me ~ Write to me as soon as you get to Mars.
    Write me ~ Don't write me off! I can do the job.

    Read to me ~ Would you please read to me?
    Read me ~ My girlfriend knows me too well; she reads me like a book.


    I hope I haven't confused you....
    Cheers

  • I don't know any rule, but I do notice an inconsistent pattern in elianecanspeak's list. Many of the verbs that require "to" take direct objects (they are transitive): "confess your sins to the priest," "repeat that statement to your mother," "suggest a change to the committee," etc. - and many of the verbs that do not require "to" donot take direct objects (they are intransitive). You can see exceptions, of course, but maybe it can help guide you when you are uncertain about using "to."

  • I agree -- in English we seem to say "tell me why/how . . ." much more commonly than "explain to me why/how" . . ."


VOCABULARY – HOW TO USE THE VERB ‘EXPLAIN’!

I have lost count of the number of times a student has said to me:
Teacher, can you explain me . . .?” or “Let me explain you what I mean . . .

No, I cannot explain YOU anything nor can you explain ME anything because that is NOT the correct use of explain!
~

The definition of explain is:
to make something clear or easy to understand by describing or giving information about it; to give reasons for something.
(*from the Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary)

*Explain is used in a specific pattern:
You explain something TO someone.
(*most common)
-or-
You explain TO someone something.

Example Sentences:
Could you explain the meaning of the word ‘disaster’ to me?
Can you explain to me the difference between ‘borrow’ and lend’?
The teacher explained the rules to the children.
explained my problems to my friends.
I understand now. She explained it to me very clearly.
I was disappointed with the way she explained the cutbacks.
After she explained her actions, everyone understood.
We asked him to explain his reason for leaving to us.
I don’t know how to explain her strange behavior.
No one has been able to explain crop circles.
How do you explain such horrible news to young children?

*Something could also be a clause with a wh- question:
Can you explain what ‘a harbour’ is?
Would you mind explaining why you’re so late?
We let her inside the house after she explained who she was.
He tried to explain how to play cricket to me, but I still don’t get it.
As soon as we got off the bus, our tour guide explained where the toilets were.
I will attempt to explain when to use the present perfect and when to use the simple past.
My mom explained to us how to use the washing machine.

*Something could also be a clause with that:
They explained that they were separating temporarily.
The trainer explained that your body needs to rest after each workout.
explained to everyone that I would be checking my email while I was on vacation.
explained to him it was a waste of my time to teach him if he wasn’t going to try!
(*that can be left out of the sentence)

*Or, if you are NOT explaining anything to anyone, then explain can be used by itself:
As I explained in my recent blog post, not everyone in Canada is bilingual!
Please, let me explain. / Give me a chance to explain.
If you’re still confused, I’ll be happy to explain further.
~
*You can also explain yourself (explain your behaviour/why you did something, or say something more clearly.)
You said what? Explain yourself!
It’s OK, I understand. You don’t have to explain yourself.
I don’t have to explain myself to you – you’re not my mother!
Let me try to explain myself more clearly.
Listen to me! I’m trying to explain myself!
He disappeared for two weeks with no explanation. I’m waiting for him to explain himself.



No comments:

Post a Comment