Thursday, September 5, 2013

difference between ordinary, usual, typical, normal, common

ordinaryadjective(жирийн, ердийн)"Ordinary" suggests that nothing is unusual or special about it. the soup tastes ordinary" (the soup isn't special, it's just the same as a million other soups).
[usually before noun] not unusual or different in any way
        --- ordinary people like you and me
usual adjective(дасал болсон, байнгийн) "usual" -- This is slightly different because it implies habit or regular behaviour. For example, my usual bus would be the one I always take, at the same time, every day.
that happens or is done most of the time or in most cases
       ---- She sat in her usual seat at the back.
typicaladjective(байдаг л нэг, жирийн л нэгtypical is more neutral and negative connotations 
1 having the usual qualities or features of a particular type of person, thing, or group
       ---- a typical Italian café
2 happening in the usual way; showing what something is usually like
       ---- A typical working day for me begins at 7:30.
normaladjective(хэвийн)In general, I would say that "normal" suggests that nothing is wrong or strange or especially bad about the thing. Here's the best example I can think of -- the parents of a new baby would be relieved to hear that the baby is "normal" (it has the right number of arms and legs and fingers and toes and so on)

1 typical, usual, or ordinary; what you would expect
      ---- Her temperature is normal.
2 not suffering from any mental disorder
       ---- People who commit such crimes aren't normal.
commonadjective(нийтлэг, олонд түгсэн)If something is "common" this means that many people can relate to it or have it. For instance, in the sentence "Cancer is a common disease", I am not saying that cancer is ordinary
1 happening often; existing in large numbers or in many places
      --- Jackson is a common American name.
2 [only before noun] ordinary; not unusual or special
      ---- the common garden frog


difference between normal and ordinary

  • In general, I would say that "normal" suggests that nothing is wrong or strange or especially bad about the thing. "Ordinary" suggests that nothing is unusual or special about it. 

    Here's the best example I can think of -- the parents of a new baby would be relieved to hear that the baby is "normal" (it has the right number of arms and legs and fingers and toes and so on), but they would be insulted if someone called their baby "ordinary" (not special in any way).

    In some contexts there would not be much difference. For instance, I don't see much difference between "It was just a normal day." and "It was just an ordinary day." If you have particular sentences you are wondering about, post them and we will tell you if there is a significant difference.

  • They are pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned, but do have a slightly different meaning in some situations.

    For me, ordinary has more a feeling of being "not special".
    Normal has a feeling of being "usual, standard or especially... NOT strange".

    Imagine your Mum has cooked some soup, but she thinks something about it tastes wrong. She asks, "Is it OK?".
    You answer, "The soup tastes normal" (the soup doesn't taste strange).

    However, if you go to a restaurant and your husband says, "I think this soup is amazing!". You might answer,
    "Actually, I think the soup tastes ordinary" (the soup isn't special, it's just the same as a million other soups).

    Sorry, that's all I have time for, hope it helps.

difference between common and ordinary

  • If something is "common" this means that many people can relate to it or have it. If something is "ordinary" this means that it is plain or not special. For instance, in the sentence "Cancer is a common disease", I am not saying that cancer is ordinary. Cancer is in fact, a horribly extraordinary disease. I am saying that many people have cancer. But, in the sentence, "A green shirt is an ordinary outfit". I am not saying that many people have green shirts. I'm saying that a green shirt is nothing special. I would say a common SIM card if you mean that many people have the same SIM card. And, I think that this is what you mean. I would not say, an ordinary SIM card. As, the SIM card could very well be exceedingly hi-tech and not ordinary at all. 

  • Common refers to something that can be found/observed easily, i.e "chilli is a common ingredient in most Asian dishes." Ordinary means nothing special. Although both words can be used at the same time sometimes, you wouldn't say something like: "It was a common evening", you would say "It was an ordinary evening".


difference between typical and normal


  • Is the only difference connotatio(нэмэгдэл утга)? It seems to me that "normal" implies good (as in "his behavior was normal") and typical is more neutral(саармаг, дундаж) but can be used negatively... as in, "Typically, tall people bump their heads on objects rather frequently" (neutral); "That's so typical of men!" (probably negative). 

    A second question: does this make the term "neurotypical" the most neutral way to express what it is that people relate it to? Or does this carry a somewhat negative connotation here?


  • Normal just means in the norm. I think it's pretty much the same thing. I think normal can be used as a negative as much as typical, if not more. If you did something a little eccentric(этгээд, гаж) for example, like wear big Elton John Glasses to work for example. Would you rather be told that is not normal, or not typical? I would probably take more offense at the use of normal because being abnormal to me sounds like there is something wrong with me, wheras atypical would say that this is something that most people do not do. I really try not to use the term normal for NT's because of that interpretation. I don't think that those with AS are abnormal, but they do have traits that are not typical of most of the population. I think NT is more neutral than negative.

  • To me typical is free of negative connotations and simply means "average". The opposite of typical is atypical, which I also don't believe has a negative connotation. It doesn't make a judgment on it, it just says that it differs from the average.

    "Normal", on the other hand, implies that anything not normal is abnormal. To me that's a very negative connotation, since I was often teased with being a freak, a weirdo, etc as a child, all of which have the abnormal connotation.


difference between usual and ordinary


  • His new watch is very ordinary.
    … it would be a slightly rude or negative comment. And the opposite of ordinary is, of course, extraordinary, and if we described a watch as extraordinary it would mean ‘very special or unusual’.
    Now let’s get back to the other word you mention, usual. This is slightly different because it implies habit or regular behaviour. For example, my usual bus would be the one I always take, at the same time, every day. My usual newspaper would be the one I always buy. You can arrange to meet someone at the usual, meaning the usual bar, café or place where you meet

2 comments:

  1. Great explanation! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It totally makes sense. Thank you.
    Now my only regret is "regular"

    ReplyDelete