Sunday, September 15, 2013

difference between wait and wait up

wait - (хүлээх)when you say wait, you are not necessarily telling me to stop doing whatever I am doing at that particular moment. 
1 [intransitivetransitive] to stay where you are or delay doing something until someone or something comes or something happens
        ---- She rang the bell and waited.
wait up - (унталгүй хүлээх, түр азнаж хүлээх, хүлээж азнах)when you're walking on the street, you see someone ahead of you, you say , "hey mikey, wait up", now that means I have to stop walking and wait till you catch up so that you can speak to me"
wait up used to ask someone to stop or go more slowly so that you can join them
        ---- Wait up — you're walking too fast for me.

wait up (for someone)

 to wait for someone to come home at night before you go to bed
         ---- I'll be back very late, so don't wait up for me.


difference between wait and wait up


  • when you're walking on the street, you see someone ahead of you, you say , "hey mikey, wait up", now that means I have to stop walking and wait till you catch up so that you can speak to me"

    when you say wait, you are not necessarily telling me to stop doing whatever I am doing at that particular moment. 

  • great question...but I never learn it as long as I learn English but as long as I know, when u say "wait up", it means u include object there.
    the most common "wait ME up", "do u wanna wait her up?"
    when u try to ask someone in front of u to wait u up, u say "hey,wait"
    "wait" means directly at that time, instantly u ask that person to stop any activities and wait u up.
    I hope it helps.

  • Good question. There is a subtle difference. The addition of "up" in the expression makes the request sound a bit softer.

    In British English, we don't say "wait up", but instead "hold on" or "wait a sec". These two expressions are softer than simply saying "wait!", which might come across as a bit too direct.

  • These are idiomatic. The expression "wait up" can mean to stay awake waiting for someone to return, or simply a command to wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment