Monday, March 10, 2014

difference between so that & such that

so that - (зорилго)
such that - (үр дагавар)

so that and such that?


  • Hi guys,

    I think that the subtleties of meaning here depend somewhat on the particuar sentence and context. However, I'd like to offer a couple of general comments. 

    so that focuses on a purpose.

    such that focuses on a consequence.

    The doctor changed Mary's medication so that she died. This sounds like the doctor wanted to kill her.

    The doctor changed Mary's medication such that she died. This sounds like the doctor made a mistake.


(When I want to emphasize a result or aim, I use a phrase with 'so that'. Other authors use 'such that'. I wonder if there are any rules or if both can be used interchangeably.
For example
Experts from different backgrounds are invited so that diverse opinions can be heard.
vs.
Experts from different backgrounds are invited such that diverse opinions can be heard.)

  • So that, as in your first example, means ‘in order that’. Such that means ‘of a kind’, as in ‘The experts we invited were such that diverse opinions could be heard.’


 so that " vs. " such that"

((1) Mandy worked hard so that she was able to finish the project. 
(2) Mandy worked hard such that she was able to finish the project. 
What's the difference between these two? Thanks.)

  • I've never seen nor heard the second example. I'd be interested to see what others have to say. 

    Jie Chen - I do not want to be thought to be "putting you down" and my next remark is a wild guess but, could it possibly be Malaysian style English? I have lived in Malaysia/Singapore and have happy memories of a different style of spoken English.

  • Hmm, an easy question to answer (example 1 is correct, 2 is not) but surprisingly tricky to explain! Here goes... 

    I think "so that" focuses on the means: Mandy was able to finish the project. How? By working hard. 

    By contrast, "such that" focuses on the result: "Attach part A to part B such that the arrows line up". How? It doesn't say -- we just know what the goal is (lining up the arrows). 

    Does that help? Does anyone even agree?!

  • I've seen people use "such that" outside legal or technical explanations, but it generally comes across as awkward or pretentious, if not actually incorrect.

  • I've seen "such that" used a lot as well, but it's different from how you're presenting it in the OP. Barb's example is spot on. 

    Is it possible that you're confusing "so...that" and "such...that" structures? I see this quite often with my students here in Taiwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment