Sunday, August 25, 2013

difference between imagine and picture

imagine - (дүрслэн бодох, санаандаа ургуулан бод) Let's say its winter but you want to pretend you are on the beach . Someone might tell you " Imagine that you are on long white sandy beach, its 80 degrees and there isn't a cloud in the sky". In this case, you are using your mind to "imagine" ( or dream) that you are there. 
1 [transitiveintransitive] to form a picture in your mind of what something might be like     ---- I can't imagine life without the kids now.
picture - (төсөөлөх, дүрслэх)to picture can also be used interchangeably with imagine.Or if you are trying to think of what someone looks like that you met a long time ago and you are having a hard time remembering
 to imagine someone or something; to create an image of someone or something in your mind
picture someone/something
     --- I can still picture the house I grew up in.


difference between imagine and picture


  • Imagine can mean various things depending on the context- For example, 1) Let's say its winter but you want to pretend you are on the beach . Someone might tell you " Imagine that you are on long white sandy beach, its 80 degrees and there isn't a cloud in the sky". In this case, you are using your mind to "imagine" ( or dream) that you are there. 

    2)Imagine can also take on the same meaning as to suppose. For example, " I imagine the store can't be very far from here" or " I suppose it can't be too far from here if we are already on the right street" . 

    It can also be used in the negative - " I can't imagine anyone would want to live like that, working 80 hours a week." ( in this case it means " understand")- I can't understand why anyone would want to live like that.

    Picture- to picture can also be used interchangeably with imagine. As in the example I gave you above " Picture yourself on a long sandy beach" 

    Or if you are trying to think of what someone looks like that you met a long time ago and you are having a hard time remembering , or if someone is telling you about a restaurant and asking you if you know where it is, you could say " I can't picture her/it" 

    Hopefully at least some of what I wrote made sense. I'll try to think of more examples.
      difference between imagine and picture
(Hi, please can someone tell me which of this sentences is correct, and why the other is incorrect. What is the difference in usage between these two words.

"Imagine Diego telling me that ....."
"Picture Diego telling me that...."

I want to convey the idea of surprise or annoyance on the part of Diego.

Thank you.)

  • Art, of the two "Imagine Diego telling me that..." is the one that expresses surprise or annoyance in my opinion. Otherwise, the two words express the same thing. For example, if you are telling someone to visualize(төсөөлөх, зурах) an idea,scene, etc., you could use either word. 

  • Both would work fine for the same thing..
    It might sound a little better if you say "Just picture It, Diego telling me that.."
    It just ads a little more, makes the person Want to picture what you are about to tell them...

  • "Imagine" can be used without suggesting a visual is required to understand. "Imagine" simply urges you to consider the fact or the result of him telling you something. "Picture" actually suggests that you think of how the scene looked, the posture of two people talking in this way, and the expression on one or both of the faces, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment