Friday, March 29, 2013

difference between on my own and my self and alone


 by myself, on my own, myself


I will do it myself = 'I will do it, no-one else will.'
I will do it by myself = 'I will do it, I don't need any help.'
I will do it on my own = 'I will do it, I don't need any help.'
I found the above from a closed thread(holboo) talking about the differences between the underlined parts.

If that's the case, does it mean by myself and on my own are in the same meaning?

Thank you.

What's the difference between "by myself and "on my own"?

Hi everybody, could you tell me which is the difference between "by myself" and "on my own"please? I need to know their uses in a sentence like "I learned languages by myself/on my own". Thank you very much in advance!

  • by myself - this is more of a physical deffinition like "I went to the store by myself"

    on my own - This is more emotional, mental as in the sentance you used


Thread: on my own/by myself


1)
Quote Originally Posted by simonaj View Post
"I found it out on my own"
"I found it out by myself"
Do these sentences the same meaning? That is on my own= by myself?
thank you
Don't try too hard with "... on my own," and "... by myself."
I don't think there is any real difference between these. Both mean that there was no one else involved. But they are used in different contexts. I suggest that neither of them naturally go with "I found it out ...", which is a strange thing to say anyway.

I still see them as different. Others see them communicating the same thing. (Languages are capitalized in English.)

2)

JamesM's Avatar





"I'm studying English by myself" means to me that you sit alone and study English.

"I'm studying English on my own" means to me that you have taken on the responsibility of studying English with no help from anyone else. As part of that study you might have taken on the task of striking up conversations with native English speakers. In other words, it doesn't mean that you will always be alone when you are working on your English studies.

3)




Hmmm... to me it's a bit different.
"I'm on my own" means that you are independent, responsible for yourself.
"I'm by myself" means that you are all alone.

"I found it out on my own" means that you found it out, independent of anyone else's efforts.

"I found it out by myself" doesn't quite make sense to me, unless I think of you as being alone when you found out. "My mother died; it was hard news, made even harder by the that fact I was by myself when I found out."

If it were "I found it out all by myself", it would sound like a proud declaration that you found it out without any assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment