Sunday, September 15, 2013

difference between later, later on, and afterwards

later - (дараа)after a while, a short or long time, not specific. but not give any indication of when.
1 at a time in the future; after the time you are talking about
       ----- I met her again three years later.
        ----- See you later.
later on - (дараа, дараа нь )"later" and "later on" essentially mean the same thing.
 (informalat a time in the future; after the time you are talking about
         ---- I'm going out later on.
afterward - (дараа нь, дараад нь)"First, we'll go to a movie. Afterwards, we'll get pizza." You can also say "later, we'll get pizza," but "afterwards" means "after the movie" specifically.
(also afterwards )
at a later time; after an event that has already been mentioned
      ---- She was sorry afterward for what she said.
      ---- Let's go out now and eat afterward.



difference between afterward and later


  • I'd say "afterwards" means directly after some mentioned event, while "later" may be any time after the present, or after some mentioned point in time.

    The family enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner together. Afterwards, they all watched the football game on TV.

    If it gets much later, we'll just have to assume they're not coming. (adjective)

    I'll see you later. (adverb)

    Come help me with this. You can do that later.

difference between later and later on, afterwards

  • I looked it up to make sure I wasn't giving you wrong information - "later" and "later on" essentially mean the same thing. They are both short for "later on in time," but nobody says "later on in time" because it's so long. >_<

    "I'll see you later." = "I'll see you sometime this afternoon or evening." Most people don't use "later on," I don't think.

    "First, we'll go to a movie. Afterwards, we'll get pizza." You can also say "later, we'll get pizza," but "afterwards" means "after the movie" specifically.

  • Later: after a while, a short or long time, not specific.
    Later on: emphasising that a little time will pass or has passed.
    Afterwards: often immediately following, but can be a later time too.
    Examples:
    I'm going to town later.
    Later on (after going to town), I want to go swimming.
    Afterwards, I'll need to dry off.

difference between later on and later


  • later on = adverb only
    I'll do it later on. 
    Nowadays we just say "later".

    later = adjective. But see its additional use above

  • Intuitively(зөн совингоор) speaking, 'later on' somehow suggests that something will happen in the not too distant future. With the usage of 'later' the length of time is indeterminable.

  • I looked it up to make sure I wasn't giving you wrong information - "later" and "later on" essentially mean the same thing.

  • Later can be a way of saying goodbye, as a short form of “see you later”, but you can’t use “later on” in this way. Later and later on can both be thought of as short terms for “later on in time”.

  • The difference between 'later' and 'later on' is very subtle - and generally it doesn't matter. If really pushed on it, I would say that if you were to ask 'When are you coming?' my answer would depend on where I'm putting the emphasis on time and events.
     
    "I'll come afterwards" would suggest that there is some event that we have been discussing that must have ended before I arrive.

    "I'll come later" would suggest I'll turn up at some point, but not give any indication of when.
    "I'll come later on" would suggest that I intend to come, but that something else is going to happen first. That could be anything, and might not even be a known thing at the time of speaking, just that I suspect something might happen between now and my coming. It's very subtle, and to be honest, I probably wouldn't worry about it. Most people consider 'later' and 'later on' to be too vague to hold you to any specific time. But it's a very thought provoking question!

No comments:

Post a Comment