Wednesday, August 28, 2013

difference between insist, persist, demand

insist - (шаардах,  шахан шаардах, хүчлэх)Insist means when someone is strongly offering you something because they want to. He insisted that work should be done by tomorrow evening.
1 [intransitivetransitive] to demand that something happens or that someone agrees to do something     ---- Stay and have lunch. I insist!     ---- I didn't really want to go but he insisted.2 [intransitivetransitive] to say firmly that something is true, especially when other people do not believe you     ---- He insisted on his innocence.
persist - (цөхрөлтгүй үргэлжлүүэх, шургуу зүтгэх)Persist means when someone keeps on asking/doing the same thing. "he persisted to call me every night"
1 [intransitivetransitive] to continue to do something despite difficulties or opposition, in a way that can seem unreasonablepersist (in doing something)     ---- Why do you persist in blaming yourself for what happened?
demand - (хүчтэй асуух, тулган шаардах) эргэлзээтэй байна. нэтээс сайн хай дахиад

1 to ask for something very firmly
demand something
      ---- She demanded an immediate explanation.
2 to need something in order to be done successfully
      ---- This sport demands both speed and strength.







difference between insist and persist

  • Insist means when someone is strongly offering you something because they want to.
    E.g. If a man wants to pay for your dinner and says 'I insist' it means he really wants to.
    Persist means when someone keeps on asking/doing the same thing. 
    E.g. If the man offered to pay for your dinner and you said no and he kept saying 'No, let me pay for it. Come on. I really want to.' He is persisting to offer to pay for your meal.

  • Persist means to carry on regardless. I am going to persist in my pursuit of knowledge until I am successful. Insist means I want you to do it without question. I insist that you come in now.

  • Persist means to carry on doing the same thing. Insist means steadfastness of thought.

         He persisted in breaking the law even though he was told he would end up in prison.

         He insisted that work should be done by tomorrow evening.

  • Persist- "he persisted to call me every night"; "The child persisted and kept asking questions"

    Insist - Be emphatic or resolute and refuse to budge.
    eg. "I must insist!"

  • persist means to keep going and insist means to make someone do something

No comments:

Post a Comment