Sunday, January 27, 2013

difference between skip and miss


Hi,

Because I got up late, I missed breakfast.
Because I got up late, I skipped breakfast.
What is the difference between 'miss' and 'skip' here?

Thanks a lot.
  • Because I got up late, I missed breakfast. You missed it, not by choice, by fact - you woke up too late.
    Because I got up late, I skipped breakfast. You decided not to have breakfast.

Difference between "miss" and "skip"?

I was practicing writing in English and I tried to write

As a result, I skipped my morning classes.

but I know I can use "missed" instead of "skipped"

and now I wonder the difference between two.

  • Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

    Using "skipped" would suggest that you purposely missed your classes. That may not be the case, but that's how most people would understand it. "Missed" could mean that you weren't there for any number of reasons, like you were busy, sick, or your car broke down. Hope I helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment