Sunday, November 16, 2014

difference between slow down and slow up

slow down - ()
slow up - ()


slow down v. slow up


  • Slow down is much, much more commonly used. You might slow down so someone can catch up to you, though.

  • Where I live, people almost invariably say "slow down" rather than "slow up."

  • Slow down is common in many circumstances in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast U.S.
    It is used to ask someone to drive more slowly, walk more slowly, or speak more slowly.

    I remember hearing "slow up" more when I was a child, decades ago. It was usually
    said by a passenger to a driver, or by one kid on a bike to another.

    I'm surprised at the regional variations in AE. I shouldn't be, but I am.


What's the difference between slow up and slow down?

  • Slow up means you are letting someone catch up with you. 

    Slow down means you are deducing speed for your own reasons

  • slow up and slow down is the same to slow down but ppl say it different

  • men slow down only for good-looking women.


(Could you please explain the difference between slow up and slow down?

A. Slow up/down! Don't run so fast!

B. Slow up/down, I don't understand what you're trying to say!

C. You should slow up/down your scooter a bit, otherwise we might get caught by the police.

Could you gimme some other examples?)



  • slow down (sb/sth) or slow (sb/sth) down

    to become slower, or to make something or someone slower 
    Slow down, you two, I can't keep up with you.
    I was carrying some heavy bags so that slowed me down.
    It seems likely that the economy will slow down over the next twelve months.

  • Just a personal note.
    I never use "slow up". It sounds very strange to my ear.
    To me it's "speed up" and "slow down".

























No comments:

Post a Comment