Tuesday, August 12, 2014

give

give someone awayreveal hidden information about someoneHis wife gave him awayto the police.
give someone awaytake the bride to the altarMy father gave me awayat my wedding.
give something awayruin a secretMy little sister gave the surprise party away by accident.
give something awaygive something to someone for freeThe library was giving away old books on Friday.
give something backreturn a borrowed itemI have to give these skates back to Franz before his hockey game.
give inreluctantly stop fighting or arguingMy boyfriend didn't want to go to the ballet, but he finally gave in.
give something outgive to many people (usually at no cost)They were giving outfree perfume samples at the department store.
give something upquit a habitI am giving up smoking as of January 1st.
give upstop tryingMy maths homework was too difficult so I gave up.


English Phrasal Verbs


Let's have a look at the verb 'to give' combined with particles. Here are some of the most common expressions:
'to give away' means to give something for free, for no payment.
  • In this issue of the magazine, they are giving away a free CD
  • I gave away all my old clothes that were too small for me.
'to give back' means to return something borrowed.
  • I still have your book at home. I must remember to give you it back.
  • Every time he borrows money from me, he never gives it back.
'to give in' means to stop making an effort.
  • You're doing really well. Don't give in now. Keep going.
  • He has refused again and again. He's not going to give in and change his mind.
'to give out' means to distribute.
  • As people arrive, can you give out these questionnaires for them to fill in.
  • He was giving out leaflets on the street.
'to give out' means to break down or stop working from tiredness or overuse
  • It was a very old machine. It's not surprising it has given out.
  • My car finally gave out last week. I will have to buy a new one.
'to give up' means to stop doing something permanently.
  • I haven't had a cigarette for over a month. I have given up smoking.
  • I have given up playing football. I'm too old for it.
'to give up' means to abandon or end, a search for example.
  • The key is nowhere to be found. We have given up looking for it.
  • I've given up waiting for him. He is not going to come so I'm going home.

No comments:

Post a Comment