Friday, September 13, 2013

difference between check and check out

check - (шалгах, шалгаж үзэх) we would not say "check out my bag". but we say "check my bag"  for example - "I will check that website" means "it probably means I am going back to the same site I have used before to see if there is an update, etc."
1 [transitiveto examine something to see if it is correct, safe, or acceptable
      ---- Check the container for cracks or leaks.
2 [intransitivetransitive] to find out if something is correct or true, or if something is how you think it is
       ---- “Is Mary in the office?” “Just a moment. I'll go and check.”
check out - (хянах, хянаж үзэх to be found to be true or acceptable after being examined - энэ өгүүлбэр нь бид ямар нэг шалган шинжилсэний дараа "хянаж and  хянаж үзэх" хийдэг. мөн энэ нь үүнтэй таарч байна - "Generally, check out" means to check/see/investigate for the first time."
1 to be found to be true or acceptable after being examined
      ---- The local police found her story didn't check out.
2 to take the things you want to buy at a supermarket to a counter and pay for them
      ---- As soon as I get a couple more items, I'll be ready to check out.



difference between check and check out

  • Generally, "check out" means to check/see/investigate for the first time. 

    You would not "check out" your bag -- you have seen it many times, you just want "check" to be sure that you have everything.

    If I say I will "check out" a website, it means I will go see it for the first time. If I "check" it, it probably means I am going back to the same site I have used before to see if there is an update, etc.

  • I will check/check out that website: to check a website is to look for something specific; to check it out is to take a look around in a general way. In practice there is a lot of overlap between the two.

    I have to check the soup and see if it's boiling.
    I want to check out that new store downtown and see what they sell.


    I am going to check/check out my bag to see if I have everything in it.

    We'd probably say "check my bag," although you have to be careful because "to check a bag" also means, for example, to leave it at a hotel desk or airport baggage area. Again:

    I'm going to check my bag and see if my sunglasses are in there.
    I'm going to check out the new bag they're selling in the store downtown.


    Hope that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment