Tuesday, August 12, 2014

run


run intosomeone/somethingmeet unexpectedlyran into an old school-friend at the mall.
run oversomeone/somethingdrive a vehicle over a person or thingI accidentally ran overyour bicycle in the driveway.
run over/throughsomethingrehearse, reviewLet's run over/throughthese lines one more time before the show.
run awayleave unexpectedly, escapeThe child ran away from home and has been missing for three days.
run outhave none leftWe ran out of shampoo so I had to wash my hair with soap.




12 Phrasal Verbs with RUN

run after

To chase or pursue
ran after the bus, but it didn’t stop for me.

run around

1. To run around an area
When I was a kid, I used to run around the neighborhood with my friends.
English phrasal verbs with run
The kids are running around the neighborhood.
2. To be very busy doing many things
Sorry I haven’t had the chance to call you this week – I’ve been running around between work, school, and soccer practice.
Note: There is also a noun, “runaround.” To “give someone the runaround” means to give them excuses and bad explanations so that they do not get the information or make the progress that they want.

run away

1. To run away from somebody who is chasing you, or in the opposite direction from something.
Everyone ran away from the explosion.
English phrasal verbs with run
The dog is running away from the boy.
2. When a child or teenager leaves home because of problems with the family.
She ran away from home when she was just 15.

run for

Try to be elected to a political or leadership position.
English phrasal verbs with run
Mark is running for state senator.

run into

Run into someone = Meet someone unexpectedly.
ran into my English teacher at the shopping mall.
Run into a problem = Encounter a problem.
I ran into a few problems when I tried to install the computer program, so I had to call a technician.
Run into a brick wall = Encounter an obstacle that is difficult or impossible to overcome.
The peace negotiations ran into a brick wall when both leaders refused to compromise.

run off

To make photocopies.
Can you run off 200 copies of this report?
English phrasal verbs with run
Run off with (someone) = When a married person abandons their husband or wife and stays together with a new lover.
The actor left his wife and three kids and ran off with a 20-year-old model.

run on

Be powered by
Electric cars run on electricity, not gas.
English phrasal verbs with run

run out of

Have none left
We ran out of beer at the party, so we had to go buy some more.
English phrasal verbs with run
The car ran out of gas

run over

1. To hit with a vehicle (car, train, truck)
She’s upset because she ran over a cat while driving home from work.
2. Take more time than planned
The meeting ran over 20 minutes, so I was late for my next appointment

run through

1. Explain quickly
Let me run through the schedule for the tour.
2. Quickly practice or rehearse a play, performance, song, or presentation.
I’d like to run through the presentation one more time to make sure everything’s perfect.

run up

1. Run to somebody or something
As soon as I come home from work, my kids run up to me and hug me.
2. Spend a lot of money on credit
My parents ran up a debt of $10,000 on their credit cards.
English phrasal verbs with run

run with

Spend time with people (normally bad)
My son’s been running with a bad crowd – his friends like to cut class.
(cut class = not go to class)
- See more at: http://www.espressoenglish.net/12-phrasal-verbs-with-run/#sthash.CZbVFg2L.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment