Thursday, December 5, 2013

difference between play you play with you

play you - (бие биенийхээ эсрэг тоглоно гэсэн санаа. тэр хоёр өрсөлдөгч нар)
[transitiveintransitive] to be involved in a game; to compete against someone in a game
play someone
      ----- The Patriots are playing the Steelers tomorrow.
play against someone
      ----- The Patriots are playing against the Steelers on Saturday.

play with you - (хамт өөр хүмүүсийн эсрэг тоглох. тэр хоёр хамтрагч нар. Энэ мөн чиний эсрэг гэсэн санааг гаргана)
[intransitivetransitive] to do things for pleasure, as children do; to enjoy yourself, rather than work
play with someone/something
        ----- i will play with you


Difference between 'play you' and 'play with you'

(What is the difference between "I'll play you next" and "I'll play with you next". Is there a grammatical error in both, it both means the same...)

  • I feel that "I'll play you" is competitive(өрсөлдөгч), where as "I'll play with you" could be collaborative(хамтын, хамтарсан). So you could play someone at tennis, but you could play with someone in a doubles game.

  • I'll play you next means that you will be my next opponent. I'll play with you next might also mean that, but generally it would suggest some less serious kind of ludic activity.


No comments:

Post a Comment