Wednesday, August 8, 2012

How to use the words all and the whole correctly


How to use the words all and the whole correctly.
All
We use all (of) to express the total number or amount of something.
all (of) my friends, all (of) the time
All (of) my friends visited me in the hospital.
We usually use all (of) with uncountable nouns.
all (of) the money, all (of) the oil
She has spent all (of) the money on cosmetics.
We usually use all of with personal pronouns it, them, etc.
all of them, all of it
Have you invited all of them?
All is usually placed after the personal pronounwe, they, them, us.
we all, they all
We all enjoyed the concert.

The whole
We usually use the whole (of) with singular countable nouns.
The can be replaced by a possessive pronounour, my, etc.
the whole meeting, my whole life
She lived in the same house her whole life.

All or the whole
All or the whole can be used with time expressions.
all day / the whole day
all morning / the whole morning
I was there all day.
I was there the whole day.

No comments:

Post a Comment